Thursday, January 24, 2008

A Grand Time


This past Saturday was the Grand Opening of Grand, a new store in Somerville. The store carries a lot of items that have popped up on designsponge, notcot, and other design/decorating blogs in the past year. Which is just fine. I was happy to take a look at some Nantaka Joy notebooks in person as I've admired them online for quite some time. I was also jazzed to see a t-shirt version of my "Flock" print by Wayne Pate.





The space that Grand occupies is killer -- it was once a nickelodeon theatre, then a restaurant and auto repair shop. The building was gutted and renovated and Grand is now on the first floor. It's an open space and the owners have used that to their advantage, installing large vinyl pieces as wall art.


The horse wall behind two very lovely visitors.

I'm happy to see labors of love such as Grand open throughout Boston -- we need more of these places around! I just hope they last. I'm encouraged by the fact that in addition to stocking some excellent home goods and clothes, Grand will also show works by local artists. Since the owners themselves are local designers and artists, this makes sense. I hope their store is a success and that it turns into a destination! Now, if only Somerville was a little closer to JP.

No comments: