Monday, February 25, 2008

Parker Posey made me cry

I don't have a whole lot of money for entertainment these days, so I get my kicks from checking out movies from the library. The local branch has a decent collection and it forces me to pick out movies I might not choose if I went to the video store.

Here are my most recent library picks:

Broken English

Parker Posey was fabulous, of course. She was surprisingly convincing as a 30-something woman looking for love, hopeful but not completely desperate, a little guarded and closed-off, and full of anxiety. Her character was real and unpredictable, nuanced and thankfully not a cliche. And her mom was played by the equally fabulous Gena Rowlands. Justin Theroux was a pleasant surprise. I didn't know he was in this film, and he played a douchebag quite well.

Arsenic and Old Lace

My high school performed this my senior year. It's a fun play. Cary Grant is charming; Peter Lorre is perfectly neurotic. This movie, however, drove me nuts. It's pace is frenetic and frustrating.

Ah, but Cary Grant. Isn't he dreamy?

No comments: